Free Visual Birth Plan Download
An integral part of your childbirth preparation is thinking about and executing a birth plan that works for you and communicates your needs with your birth team in a respectful but straightforward manner.
Making a birth plan is so important to us that we have a class in our 10 class childbirth series that largely focuses on this aspect of birth preparation.
A huge part of making a good birth plan is learning about what you want on it and why. We can’t do that in a simple blog post (thus the 10 week class!) but we can help you effectively complete this task once you have the knowledge you need.
One thing that helps make a birth plan work is making sure that it is easy to read and visually appealing. A visual birth plan helps accomplish this.
We love our students in our live and online childbirth classes and we love our loyal blog readers so today we are sharing with you a free visual birth plan download. We hope it helps you create something meaningful and workable for your and your birth team.
Instructions for creating your own visual birth plan:
- First, download the page below by clicking this link- my visual birth plan. Download the sample birth plan to your own computer. It will look like this:
This file has the basic categories needed for your birth plan; labor, birth, and postpartum. Each section of the birth plan is divided into two smaller categories; yes, please, and no, thanks. You can also create a document in your preferred word processing format and simply drop the images below into it if you don’t want to use our template .
- Save the file to something like DocHub so that you can easily edit the pdf format.
- Once you have this downloaded then look through our free visual birth plan download icons, shown below. Choose whatever icons you like, download them by right clicking on the image and selecting “save image as.” Then drop them in the appropriate space on your birth plan template.
- Be sure to resize appropriately within the template so that you can fit all your birth plan icons
Your birth plan should be unique to you and the desires that you and your partner have for your particular birth. Nobody can do this for you! There aren’t really right or wrong choices, just choices that work for you.
- If you have any questions about any of the items, ask your childbirth educator or doula. They would love to help with thoughts or answering questions.
What are some benefits of a visual birth plan?
- Easy to read
- Can be quickly scanned by busy nurses
- Communicates your wishes in a non-confrontational yet clear manner
- Is uncluttered and visually appealing
- Helps you organize your thoughts and questions before the birth so that when you meet with your provider during pregnancy so you don’t forget to chat about something important to you.
Of course, a great birth plan takes a lot more than just dropping some icons on your template! Be sure to carefully consider everything you learn in your live or online childbirth class. All the interventions and birth choices you talk about come full circle as you communicate with your partner about your birth plan wishes.
In class 9, take your visual birth plan with you to class or have it handy when you watch your birth class online.
Learn from your instructor and your classmates about all your choices and narrow down what is most important to you.
We wish you an AMAZING birth!