Spicy Shrimp/Chicken Nachos
We are so excited to start our first What to Eat Wednesday post of the New Year with a recipe from our founder Donna Ryan! I agree with her that it is a favorite!
This is our family’s very favorite recipe. We make it on special occasions – New Year’s Eve, birthdays, World Series games – the big events in life. Ha!
Now, things are a little complicated at our home with a vegan and several vegetarians, and both parents not eating chips, but it can easily be adapted to meet everyone’s needs We put everything out and have everyone build their own plate.
This recipe has it all – beautiful color, veggies, spice, and protein!
*** Looking for a class to learn more about healthy and delicious foods? Take our Food & Fitness course! The workbook is so beautiful and something you’ll want to keep on hand long after your baby is here. When you take the Comprehensive Course, you’ll learn this information in Class 2.
Spicy Shrimp/chicken nachos
- 1 lb peeled deveined uncooked shrimp (Or whatever, pick your meat. We’ve done shrimp, chicken, and tofu. They all work great.)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- Scoops tortilla chips (or zucchini taco shell recipe below)
- 1 cup mango – seeded, peeled, chopped
- 1 medium chopped red pepper
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1 fresh jalapeno – seeding and finely chopped (We quadruple this quantity!)
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Combine fruit/veggies to make the mango salsa. We usually make at least double because everyone really loads up on this stuff!
- In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar and the Jerk Seasoning. Add shrimp, chicken, or tofu and toss until everything is well coated.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add “meat” and cook until cooked through. Set aside.
- Turn on broiler as you build the (oven safe) plates, layering the chips, mango salsa, “meat,” and shredded cheese.
- Broil for 1-2 min, until cheese is melted.
Zucchini Taco Shells! (In place of chips, if desired.)
Hasn’t everyone gotten creative with zucchini lately? This is our special twist to make “taco shells.”
- 4 cups shredded and strained zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup parm cheese
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Mix well.
- Spray griddle and heat on medium heat.
- Using 1/3 cup, drop mixture on the griddle, making a thin “pancake.”
- Flip when it seems crisp on the bottom.
- We added a
cheese before removing it from the griddle. little-shredded
David ate his like a taco, but I used it more like a tostada, eating with a fork. Either way, I think you will LOVE this fun, crowd-pleasing one-dish meal!
Have a recipe you would like to share with Birth Boot Camp for What To Eat Wednesday? We would love to hear from you.