Top 10 Foods to Stock for Postpartum
One day you are pregnant, and the next day a mother! One of the most important things a new mom can have is a fridge and pantry stocked with healthy, easy to grab foods for those first few weeks.
Nursing a baby frequently, recovering from the work of labor and birth, while adjusting to a new sleep schedule all require optimal nutrition and frequent healthy snacks. Here are our top ten ideas for great, easy snacks when you are caring for a new baby.
1) Yogurt- Yogurt in serving size cups is full of protein and easy to grab and eat one handed while nursing.
2) Cheese sticks- Buy a big pack of cheese sticks and keep them in the fridge. You can grab one with a handful of whole wheat crackers to munch on the go. With seven grams of protein per serving they are a great snack. If you have older kids, they will love them too.
3) Cherry tomatoes- Cherry tomatoes are sweet without being junk food and an easy way to get some vitamin C rich foods when you need a quick snack.
4) Berries- Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc. are easy to grab and full of nutrients and anti-oxidants that your body needs when healing post-baby. Throw them in your yogurt to add some flavor.
5) Granola- Granola is packed with protein, carbs, fat and energy. Easy to eat with some milk or yogurt or even by itself. It is easy to grab and eat on the go or while you sit and nurse.
6) Nuts- Stock up on different nuts at your local health food store. Keep them on hand and you will always have some yummy energy food when you get a moment. Try raw nuts to avoid too much salt or sugar.
7) Clementines- Small, sweet, and full of vitamins, these easy-to-peel orange are a great snack for both mom and older kids. And the children won't need your help to get them ready, so they can feed themselves.
8) Bananas- Bananas are a power food for the whole family. Full of potassium, easy to grab on the go and great for adding to other foods. You have got to keep bananas on hand.
9) Edamame- Fresh shelled soybeans are so good with a little sea salt and can be eaten alone or added to salad. Even kids will love them!
10) Hummus and pita chips- Easy to dip, healthy grains and protein packed hummus makes this a perfect snack for a nursing mama.
Take care of yourself postpartum and you will have more energy to devote to your baby. Easy snacks for the new mama make the transition to a bigger family so much easier.