The Birth Boot Camp Instructor Certification is valid for one year and recertification is required prior to expiration.
Active Birth Boot Camp Instructors are listed on the website.
1. Attend 3 different types of local community groups that support natural birth and attachment parenting (i.e. La Leche League, MEND, WIC, ICAN, Holistic Moms Network, cloth diapering group, a local birth network, a babywearing group, postpartum support group, etc.)
- Submit a short paragraph for each group detailing how they support the community and how to become involved.
2. Read 2 books from the following reading list and complete the reading report form.
- Sears, Sears, & Holt, The Pregnancy Book, most recent edition
- West, Pregnancy the Natural Way, most recent edition
- Block, Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care, most recent edition
- Cassidy, Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born, most recent edition
- Gaskin, Birth Matters: A midwife’s Manifesta, most recent edition
- Harper, Gentle Birth Choices: A Guide to Making Informed Decisions about Birthing Centers, Birth Attendants, Water Birth, Home Birth, Hospital Birth, most recent edition
- Nichols & Humenick, Childbirth Education: Practice, Research and Theory, most recent edition
Newborn and Breastfeeding:
- Mohrbacher & Kendall-Tackett, Breastfeeding Made Simple, most recent edition
- Newman & Pitman, The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers, most recent edition
- Sears, The Attachment Parenting Book, most recent edition
- Smith & Kroeger, Impact of Birthing Practices on Breastfeeding, 2nd edition, most recent edition
- Bennett & Indman, Beyond the Blues, Understanding and Treating Prenatal and Postpartum Depression & Anxiety, most recent edition
- Cohen & Estner, Silent Knife, most recent edition
- Kitzinger, Birth Crisis, most recent edition
- Lafser, An Empty Cradle, a Full Heart: Reflections for Mothers and Fathers after Miscarriage, Stillbirth, or Infant Death, most recent edition
3. Update your list of community resources. Include 10-15 categories (i.e. midwives, doulas, OBs, pediatricians) with at least 3 providers in each category.
4. Instructors agree to submit a minimum of 80% of their students’ Birth Records.
5. A minimum of one live class series must be completed each year.
6. Submit your completed paperwork and payment of $125 by the anniversary of your certification date.
Allow up to 2 weeks for the processing of your completed recertification information.
- A $50 late fee will be charged if forms and payment are not received on or before your recertification date.
- If forms and payment are late, your name will be removed from the website until all requirements are complete.