Choosing a Birth Photographer
Birth is one of life's most amazing events. It is natural to want to capture it in images that can be shared and enjoyed for years to come. But how should you choose the best birth photographer for you?
Here are a few tips for choosing a birth photographer who is both good at what they do and will be a great member of your birth team.
Tips for choosing a birth photographer:
- Ask your childbirth educator, doula or midwife who they recommend. As professionals in your community, they will have contacts with others in the birth world. They should be able to tell you who they enjoy working with, who is dependable, and who consistently produces quality work.
- Ask friends who have enjoyed the work done by their own birth photographer. Seeing what somebody else has as memory from their precious birth will give you an idea of what to look for. People like different styles and want different moments captured. Looking at a friend's photos and getting their opinion can be helpful. They can also fill you on on the kind of presence the photographer brought into their birth space.
- Ask yourself! What do YOU most want in a photographer? Would you prefer to have someone there who is super experienced or would you rather have someone there that you know well, or at least have an immediate connection to? Do you want photographs or would you prefer video, or do you want both? Do you want black and white or color photos? Do you want all the moments captured?
- Consider that birth photographer is a little different than regular photography. Someone who has never done birth photography may not be comfortable with the noises, sights, and intensity of childbirth. Also, birth often takes place in very low light, so you will want someone who knows how to take quality pictures when light sources are limited. Will a flash bother you?
- Does your photographer have a good reputation? A photographer who does great work but is known for not showing up or being difficult to contact may not be the best fit for a middle of the night call for a birth shoot. Ask around about their professional reputation as well as who has rights to the photography. Will your photos be shared on social media?
Birth is a unique and sacred time where the birthing family is acutely aware of others and prone to suggestion. Your birth photographer, like every other person in the room, needs to be someone you feel totally comfortable inviting into your birth space and sharing this special time with.
Taking the time to carefully choose your birth photographer is a decision that you will never regret.