Birth Boot Camp childbirth education and doula programs are founded on some basic principles, spelled out in the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative. As we formulated our curriculum, we turned to this document to help guide us.
What is Mother-Friendly care as it specifically applies to childbirth education and doulas?
* Our curriculum supports the belief in access to midwifery and doula care for all women. We encourage the midwifery, or physiological model, of care. We have launched a doula program to help more women gain access to quality doula care.
* As a childbirth education company, we believe providers, and even doulas and childbirth educators, should keep and share statistics regarding their clients, particularly concerning interventions. We keep our own statistics for our students and share them yearly for full transparency. No names or personal information are gathered in this process.
* Birth Boot Camp Instructors and Doulas are respectful and sensitive to beliefs, values, and customs of women and their families. We understand that we all come from different backgrounds and we honor that.
* Birth Boot Camp Instructors and Doulas understand the importance of freedom of movement in labor. Our classes, instructors, and doulas are trained in a wide variety of positions and movement that can be conducive to a better birth.
* Birth Boot Camp Instructors and Doulas support the family with community resources. An important part of their training is requiring them to have Mother-Friendly community resources ready to share with their clients.
* Birth Boot Camp supports evidence based care. Our childbirth education classes cover common interventions and discuss the evidence for or against them. Our doulas are also well-versed in this area.
* As a natural childbirth company, our focus is helping families achieve a birth free of pain medication. In our childbirth classes, couples learn of a wide variety of techniques to help them throughout their labor -- from relaxation to position change to partner support -- that can be used before resorting to pharmaceutical pain relief medication.
* Families are encouraged to breastfeed. Our childbirth classes include extensive breastfeeding education by an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant). Our doulas are trained by an IBCLC in early breastfeeding needs. We strongly support, encourage, and educate our families about the benefits of breastfeeding.
* Following the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative, Birth Boot Camp also discourages non-religious circumcision of the newborn. Our birth classes include education about circumcision.
* Birth Boot Camp supports the WHO-UNICEF "Ten Steps of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative". We believe strongly in baby-friendly care and strive to educate and support our students and doula clients in having a wonderful postpartum and loving interaction with their newborn. This includes breastfeeding support and education.
At Birth Boot Camp, we believe that women and their families can have an amazing birth and breastfeeding experience. We know that education and support are key aspects to helping families have these great birth experiences for themselves and their children. (You can view the MFCI document here.) We believe so passionately in encouraging and supporting Mother- Friendly care that from June 2015-July 2016 we will donate $5 from every online childbirth class sold to CIMS, the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services.